Which world famous artwork occupys the “Most Sold For” list with Davinci’s “Salvador Mundi”?
No artwork has come close to the price paid by a telephone bidder for Leonardo Da Vinci’s “Salvador Mundi” at Christies in New York. Composed in the 16th Century, it last changed hands in the 1950s, when it was bought for £45 as it was believed to be a copy.
In just 19 minutes, the 26-inch tall painting referred to by the auction house as “The Last DaVinci” broke the record for most expensive painting ever sold. Proceedings briefly dwindled around the $200 million mark before a renewed energy saw the bidding battle taking $2 million strides before the hammer came down on the equivalent of £342 million.
The depiction of Christ is over two and half times more expensive than the previous record-holder, Picasso’s “Women of Algiers” which sold for almost $180 million at auction in 2015.
- “Salvador Mundi” Leonardo DaVinci – $450.3m
- “Women of Algiers” Pablo Picasso – $179.4m
- “Reclining Nude” Amedeo Modigliani – $170.4m
- “The Woman in Gold” Gustav Klimt – $135m
- “Portrait of Dr. Gachet” Vincent Van Gogh – $149.7m (1990 equivalent of)
- “Three Studies of Lucian Freud” Francis Bacon – $142.4m
- “Dance at Moulin de la Galette” Pierre-Auguste Renoir – $141.7m
- “Boy with a Pipe” Pablo Picasso – $130.7m
- “The Scream” Edvard Munch – $119.9m
- “Nude, Green Leaves and Bust” Pablo Picasso – $106.5
While you might not have paintings of broaching the hundreds of millions at home, it’s always worth checking that any pieces of art you do have are properly insured. Check your policy or speak to the team at Lockyers for further advice.
Lockyers are a leading, independent insurance broker and we offer a confidential, personal, private clients insurance service for High and Ultra High Net Worth individuals and families. Our experienced account managers review the insurance protection required for your lifestyle and then work with specialist insurer partners including Chubb, Hiscox, Zurich Private Clients, Aviva and Home & Legacy Insurance Services Ltd to build a tailored insurance solution to suit your personal needs, whatever the complexity.
- Offering a personal, confidential service from experienced brokers.
- Protection for you and your family, your home, possessions and cars.
Private clients insurance policy features for your consideration include worldwide cover for your possessions, travel insurance, emergency repairs, unlimited contents cover and advice from expert loss adjusters, fraud protection and identity theft cover.
Your Lockyers account manager can adjust the insurance cover as your risks change over time. We understand that you have a busy life and should the worst happen, we can also offer the services of a dedicated claims team to manage the claim for you.