Pokémon Go – use the game to build your business
Everyone’s playing it! Have you spotted people (of all ages) walking round, smartphone in hand, muttering strange words like Poliwhirl and Pidgeotto.
Pokémon GO, set to become a global phenomenon, is now available in the UK. The UK is only the 5th country in the world where the game is officially available following on from the recent launches in the US, Australia, New Zealand and Germany. The free mobile game is proving to be hugely popular, exploding across the globe with unprecedented speed.
How does it work?
Don’t worry you won’t see Machop walking down the street. The game uses the GPS and camera on a smartphone, to get players off the sofa and out onto the streets to hunt down wild Pokémon. The phone vibrates when a Pokémon is nearby and it can be captured. Players can then visit Pokémon Gyms, which are usually local landmarks or businesses, to train their Pokémon and battle other teams or PokeStops to stock up on accessories. Check out the game for yourself (be careful you might get hooked on the hunt for Pokémon) – download onto your smartphone from Apple’s App store or the Google Play Store.
How can the game help build my business?
Whatever you think about the game “Gotta Catch ‘Em All” can apply equally to customers and it doesn’t have to cost a fortune.
Pokémon GO has created a real opportunity to LURE new customers, who will hopefully turn into regular visitors, to your business.
- LURE even more people to visit you. If your location is close to a Pokestop buy LURES from the Pokémon GO Shop to increase the number of Pokémon available around a particular location for 30 minutes. This is a real benefit for players so don’t forget to promote the time slot on social media beforehand.
- PokeStop and Pokémon Gyms locations have been set by the developers, Niantic Labs. If your business is already a PokeStop or Pokémon Gym this is a big win as these locations will attract increased visitors with no input or investment needed from you. Forget Machop – capture these customers instead.
- Increase footfall in your area. If you are near a Pokémon Gym promote your business by posting in game screen shots on social media, players will recognise the real life location or landmark and come down ready to battle.
- Encourage passing players to spend money with you by advertising special offers on window posters and sandwich boards.
- Place a Facebook advert for your area – tell people which Pokémon are available locally and offer an incentive to visit your business as well
- Apply to have your location as Pokémon GO Gym or Pokestop via this Niantic support page.
Is Pokémon GO here to stay or just a fad for the summer – whichever way the time to make to most of it for your business is NOW.
Call Lockyers on 01924 278222 to discuss your insurance requirements (whether Pokémon related or not!) with our specialist brokers.