Unusual insurance covers… and claims
Home insurance? Check. Business insurance? Check. Alien abduction insurance? Check.
Insurance offers a vital security blanket for all sorts of essential activities, from driving your car to running your business.
But over the years insurers have been asked to provide protection against some rather more unusual circumstances. Here are a few of our favourites…
- Alien Abduction Insurance Is there life on Mars? If you’re in the affirmative camp, it is possible to insure yourself against an alien abduction. Although proving your claim may be a little tricky….
Are there any other extra-terrestrial policies? Some providers will insure your home against a potential alien invasion on earth, should your property be damaged in the process.
- Immaculate Conception Insurance British Insurance incurred the wrath of the Catholic Church when they insured three sisters from Scotland against the possibility of carrying the son of God in a virgin birth.
Yes, really. The insurer gave all the £100-per-year premiums to charity, but still eventually withdrew the policy.
- Haunted House Insurance Haunted house themed attractions are a popular way to celebrate Halloween in the US. Cover can include public liability for visitors, and products cover if food and drink are served.
What’s been claimed? A teenager with asthma reacted to fog machines in a St. Louis haunted house, resulting in a wrongful death claim.
- Hole In One Prize Insurance Charity golf tournaments often make grand claims about giving away a car or large cash prize if any gets a hole in one. Organisers often protect themselves with prize indemnification in case someone manages it.
Are they good odds? Exceedingly! Due to the low likelihood of anyone winning, a $1 million contest was once insured for just $300.
- Zombie Attack Insurance People have been claiming a zombie apocalypse is imminent for a while now, but they’ll be laughing if it happens and we were too busy scoffing to take out this specialist insurance – which has been sold by Lloyds of London to protect customers from creepy attacks by vampires, werewolves and zombies.
The drawback? Not sure who will be around to process the claim…
Whether you need everyday insurance or want to challenge us with something out of the ordinary, get in touch with Lockyers on 01924 278222 today.