Mental health costs your organisation £1035 per employee.
Anxiety, depression and other mental health problems affect 1 in 6 employees, according to the Centre for Mental Health. In fact, mental health problems are the fourth most common reason for workplace absences and account for an average of 91 million working days lost each year. In addition, mental health problems cost the UK economy £26 billion annually, or £1,035 for every employee in the UK workforce.
Fortunately, there are several simple coping strategies for mental health problems that can annually save your organisation at least 30%. These strategies include the following:
- Offer employees flexible work hours.
- Provide easy access to employee assistance programmes and occupational health services.
- Integrate mental health provisions in your policies and procedures.
- Involve employees in the decision-making process
However, the most beneficial strategy that your organisation can adopt is to ensure that your employees feel supported if they have mental health problems, as less than 10% of employees feel comfortable discussing them with their managers, according to a recent survey.
For more guidance on how to help your organisation create an environment that promotes good mental health for your employees while saving you money, review the recently published guide from the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) by clicking here.
Talk to Lockyers about private medical insurance for your business. Private medical insurance provides you and your employees with prompt access to diagnosis and treatment, enabling a return to work as soon as possible and as a valued benefit, will help to attract and retain staff. Key benefits include:
Out-patient treatment of acute conditions
- Consultations and treatment by a specialist / Diagnostic tests / Pre-admission tests / Radiotherapy & Chemotherapy / Treatment for musculoskeletal conditions / Psychiatric treatment
In-patient treatment of acute conditions
- Hospital charges / Specialists’ fees / Diagnostic tests / CT, MRI and PET scans / Radiotherapy & Chemotherapy / Treatment for musculoskeletal conditions / NHS Cash benefit
FREE Additional Options
When you take out private health cover with Lockyers you receive the additional options of dental and optical plus 28 day in-patient psychiatric cover for free.